Way down past Eden.
Construction of Boydtown began in 1843 when the newly arrived Scottish entrepreneur Benjamin Boyd proposed to base his Steamship Company at Twofold Bay. Boyd’s paddle-steamers operated between Sydney, Twofold Bay and Hobart.
Boyd purchased a large section of land in the southern portion of the Twofold Bay where he established the townships of Boydtown, which at it’s peak had 200 inhabitants and East Boyd where he established a whaling station.
The first building erected in Boydtown was the “Seahorse Inn”, named after one of Boyd’s steam-boats. The foundations were constructed of sandstone imported from Sydney and the rest of the building from locally made bricks and hardwood and with cedar and oak fixtures imported from England. The hotel was built with convict labour and never fully finished.
Boydtown’s church was thereafter constructed and roofed but never furnished due to the subsequent bankruptcy of Boyd. The Church lost its roof in 1926 in one of the many bushfires which have periodically devastated this area and which have also destroyed many other historic Boydtown buildings, but its crumbling walls still stand today on the hill behind the Seahorse Inn. Boyd also built a row of houses, which he christened ” Jerusalem,” for the use of the workmen he employed.